Thursday, July 21, 2011

They Way They Love Me

"Mommy, I just wanted to let you know that I really love you now".

(Oh. Because you didn't before? But now you do?)

"Thanks, sweetie. That's really great to hear. I am wondering what you mean when you say that you love me 'now', though."

"Well, before you were my mommy, see? And I loved you because that's what you were, because kids are supposed to love their mommy."

(Okay.)

"And now, cher?"

"Oh. Well, now I see all of the things you do for all of us. You do lots of really nice stuff, Mom."

(That's true. No argument there. I'm a pretty stellar lady, if I do say so myself.)

".....So now I love you because I see all of that and I know you don't have to do it; you choose to do it because you love me. I love you for that, Mom."

(Oh, my.)

"You know what sweetie? That may be the best thing I've heard in a long time. I love you too."

And then she said 4 magical words to me:

"I know it, Mama."

(Very high praise, indeed.)

My heart is still melting.

1 comment: