Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup (a.k.a Bowl Of Joy)

I am a lover of all things soup. I am. The stuff is amazing and I celebrate almost all it.  To quote my mom's 1960's era Better Homes "New" Cook Book, "Soup's on. And wonderful it will taste." (Is that not the most awkward sentence you've ever read? It was high on my list, personally.)

Anyway. I make a lot of it around here and especially love to create restaurant favorites on my own. I recently found a copy cat version of one of my very favorite of favorites, the Broccoli Cheddar Cheese soup at Panera. Two words describe that bowl of delight: Yum-Yum.

As will most recipes that find their way into my paws, I have tweaked this one a bit based on the ingredient list of the actual Panera version. It's a favorite around our house. See what you think.

What You'll Need:
1 TBS Butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-half
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound broccoli, chopped small
1 cup chopped carrots (small cubes)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2Tbs-1Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2-3 dashes hot sauce
8oz shredded cheddar cheese

What You'll Do:
Saute the onions in the 1TBS of butter. Then set them aside (you'll use 'em later).
Next, cook flour in the melted butter over medium heat, whisking constantly. Slowly add the half and half, stirring constantly. Next add the chicken stock. Allow this mixture to come to a simmer, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
Add the onions, carrots, and broccoli. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender. Add the salt/pepper, cheddar cheese, Dijon, and hot sauce, and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted. Adjust seasoning as needed and enjoy.

Yum and Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment