Monday, March 14, 2011

Taco Soup for all!

I'm a fan of Taco Soup. I am. But I've found it difficult to find one that I can really love. What follows is the rather polygamous marriage of several recipes that I've found. It represents my favorite parts of Taco Soup. (My definition of Taco Soup is "A substance which is more like a taco and less like chili").

Why am I blogging this? Heck, I don't know. Maybe because I happen to be thinking about it at this moment and in lieu of anything else, it's what is flying to the tips of my fingers. Whatever the reason, I hope that if you feel inclined to try it, you'll like it too.

Taco Soup

2 cans of beans, drained.
(I LOVE Pinto & Black beans for this, so I use one of each.)
1 can golden hominy, drained.
 (This is quintessential. Whatever you think you know about hominy, if you don't like it, put it in anyway. THIS is what makes Taco Soup, I tell you. Think taco shell, or corn tortilla.)
2 cans diced tomatoes, in juice.
 (I use a fire roasted type and a regular type.)
1-2 cans of water.
(I use the tomato cans.)
1 cup salsa.
 (You decide the heat factor on this one; I'm a wimp and stick with mild.)
1 pk. Taco Seasoning
1 pk. Ranch Dressing Mix.
(Weird, right? But it works. Put it in; you'll see).
1 # ground beef, browned OR 1 # diced chicken.
 (I kinda like chicken in this more than beef. Very tasty.)
1 small can diced green chilies, optional.
 (This is if you REALLY want heat in it. I don't usually add it, or will only add a small amount. You won't miss it if you don't, but it's your call).

The How To:
Cook your meat, be it cow or cluck. (Drain off the fat if your meat used to moo). Now add the drained beans & hominy. Add both cans of tomatoes with juice. Give the concoction a stir. Add the salsa, taco and ranch dressing packs. Add 1 can of water. Still too thick for you? Add another can. If you're adding the chilies, get those in too. Stir it some more and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. Do you really NEED to wait that long? Nah. But I highly recommend it so that it can integrate all those lovely flavors.

Serve It In Style:
Ladle it into a bowl, top it with cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro. Yum. And don't forget the corn chips. Don't you do it; that would be a sin. You must have corn chips with this. 
Now, put on some mariachi music, sit back, and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment