Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Do you like having twins?

I was asked an interesting question today as I was out with the girls:

"Do you like having twins?"

Hmmm. Interesting question. But how to answer?

What really are my choices in answering this question that I get every once in awhile?

I mean, this is my family. This is what I have been blessed with. That it happens to include twins is not something I could control; however, I feel all the more luckier for it. And it's obviously all that I know. I have twins. End of story. What can I compare that to? I don't have some other family with a grouping of singletons stashed away somewhere. Some alternative reality by which I could compare Having Twins with Not Having Twins.

When I get this question, it's usually from people whom I suspect feel the need to talk to me about having twins. Maybe the question comes across wrong, but since I get it every once in awhile, I'm thinking it's meant the way it comes out. I've even wondered if I'm just taking it wrong, but I'm not quite sure in what context someone asking you if you like your kids (which is what it boils down to) is okay.

I don't know.

I file it under the "Wacky Questions People Ask When They're Not Sure What Else To Say" and leave it at that. It's right by, "Oh, they're twins. Did you have them both yourself?" and "Are they both boys, then?" ( this one asked after seeing my pink clothed daughters with bows in their hair). Little gems I like to recall from time to time, and that always make me smile.

But I digress....

"Do you like having twins?"
s
"Yep. Yep, I sure do. Quite a bit, actually. Thanks for asking."

No comments:

Post a Comment