Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And then there were 4

Somehow this year is drawing to a close.
Somehow, through the turmoil and chaos that has been "This First Year", the end of it is in sight.
Where it all went, those countless days in between the 'First Day' and these nearly last ones, I cannot say.
Days that were happy. Some that were sad. Days filled with  accomplishments. And days where the only "good" thing they could say about it was that I added another check mark to our calendar.
Slowly the days have all ebbed away to this point. Four more days.
Just four.
Just.

This is always the best part of the school year; when you are nearing the end.
You can look back and almost not see the negatives.
The day-to-day struggles seem diminished somehow, by the bright light that is "End Of School".

And to be honest, I'm a bit melancholy about the whole thing. You probably knew I would be. Hells bells, if I'm being honest, I probably knew it too. I'm semi-sad to see this first stage of their learning adventure draw to a close. No matter how stressful things got, I was always able to say, "This is the first part of their adventure. They're on their way!"

Sure, it wasn't the peachy-keen picture I'd hoped it would be for them. But it's theirs, nonetheless. And we've met some pretty spectacular people along the way.

But even as this "First" draws to a close, a new adventure awaits just over the horizon. First grade at home. They're excited to begin it. I'm anxious just to see how it goes, and excited to dust off my 'Teaching' hat once again.

Four more days.

Four.

And then. Oh my. The places we'll go.
Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment